Thursday, February 25, 2010

Taco Night

Last night at our house was Taco Night. How I didn’t adopt this tradition earlier in our married lives, I do not know. But I would like to send a huge shout-out to my FIF’s for telling me that Taco Night was a blessed event and that I needed to enjoy it- because it is, and I do.

My husband and I, unfortunately, have a little different view on what should be in a taco. He likes beef, I prefer chicken, but we are “OK” with eating the opposite. Cheese is a given of course, and we both prefer soft tacos to hard shells. Once in a while black beans are good as well. But that’s about where it stops.

I am very systematic about my tacos- I have a script that I like to follow to ensure that I don’t end up with a bite of just one ingredient. Yes, I am OCD that way. I lay my tortilla down on my plate, and put sour cream in a thick line down the middle. I think put a thin layer of rice, followed by cheese. Then, I put the meat on- why, do you ask? Because I like the cheese to be sandwiched between the hot rice and the hot meat, therefore melting it nicely so it doesn’t fall out. I then put on some sautéed onions and peppers (I have learned to sauté very few since hubs of course won’t eat them), and then I top it all off with a bit of mild salsa.

Now, wrapping is the key to a good taco experience. Sometimes I feel a bit lazy, and just roll it, turn it over so the flap stays wrapped, and use a fork to dig in. However, if I’m in a “eat with my hands” type of mood, there is a correct procedure to follow. First, you have to fold one end up a bit, to make a little pouch- stuffings falling out of the bottom of your roll definitely make for a BAD taco experience. After you make the pouch, fold one side over and tuck the edge under the ingredients, then bring the other side over to complete it. Then enjoy!

When I first introduced the idea of Taco Night to my husband, he was wary. Then when I made it one night, he was completely enamored. So enamored, in fact, that I suggested we could do Taco Night once a week. “No no,” he said, “That would probably be too much.” It wasn’t half way through the next week until he was asking what night we were doing tacos again. And since, Taco Night has been a weekly tradition.

This, my friends, just solidifies the fact that I know best. He just needs to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment