Friday, February 19, 2010

FIF's

I like to say I’m a “wanna-be-computer-geek”- I truly am. I love anything technology related, and I love learning new things- I even taught myself Access over a summer for a work project. I will say, however, that although the idea of being able to program and use HTML and Java and whatnot appeals to me, I don’t think I could stand the isolation that type of work would bring.

In the last few years, my small techie mind has turned to social networking and Web 2.0 programs. In fact, those are things that are involved in my career on a daily basis. But the one private phenomenon that I never knew existed was a group of women that have become such a large part of my life, even though I’ve only met one of them in person. They are my FIF’s- my Freaky Internet Friends.

We all met on a wedding planning website, as soon-to-be brides getting married in August 2008. We all filtered into our date group throughout the year prior to August 2008, searching for advice on honeymoons or colors or “unique” ideas (of which there aren’t any, of course). The group of us soon realized, however, that we had one thing in common- most of us felt that we were planning a marriage, not just a wedding, and that some of the “SQEEEE!” details were just not that important. Unicorns and sparkly ribbon wands were just not our style. But we kept coming back because of our bond that somehow formed over weblines, and we developed into a group of friendships that has gotten even stronger since.

We have seen each other through learning to deal with new in-laws (or not), weddings, honeymoons, changing wedding dates, getting pregnant, miscarriages, having babies, having marriage troubles, lay-offs, moving, and any other number of things that seem to happen while you’re trying to live your life. Soon after our weddings we moved our collective to a private forum space and continue to speak with each other day after day. We call each other at times, text each other a lot, and always always check in with each other regularly. I truly have never had such a wonderful, caring group of friends that I look forward to communicating with each day. As women, we seek out touchstones in our lives, relationships that enlighten us and heal us and allow us to do the same. My FIF’s are some of the smartest, funniest, most beautiful women in the world, and I am proud to be let into each of their lives.

Thank you- your friendship makes me smile.

4 comments:

  1. This just warmed the cockles of my cold, stressed heart. Seriously, this is the best description of our FIF bond I've read.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 you! This really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete