Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad


Happy Birthday Dad.


Today was your birthday. Unfortunately, one year ago, it was also the day that we lost you, although the death certificate will state a month later. We miss you so much- our lives have a hole in them that can’t be filled. A void that will always be there. A heartache that will never truly heal, although they say it lessens over time.


I know you’re watching over us every day, and I know that Cora has the best guardian angel ever. I know you’ve talked with her- in fact, I believe that you were the first one to get to see her or talk to her, even before she was born. You were with us in the delivery room, making sure that the complications that arose didn’t put her in danger. She seems to have an affinity for men with beards… we whole-heartedly think that is because she’s seen you with one, and knows that they aren’t scary. Her grandpa has one after all!


You taught me so much throughout my life Dad, and I am grateful for every single lesson. I hope that through the years I was able to show you how much I appreciated you and loved you. I hope that was not something that you left this life wondering. Here are just a few things that I am grateful for from you:


My blue eyes and my curly hair.


My chipmunk cheeks.


You taught me how to ride a motorcycle, although at one point I thought I was too girly to do it.


You taught me how to use my hands to build things. How to use a hammer, a drill, a saw, and “righty tighty, lefty loosy”.


You taught me how to not sweat the small things. Although I didn’t know how to earlier in life, I am proud to say that I now practice this as a lesson learned.


You taught me how important family is, and to not let arguments and disagreements make me forget this.


You taught me how to pack a U-haul, and how to move as efficiently as possible, which came in handy when you helped me move more times than I care to count.


You taught me how to mow the lawn, use an edger, shovel the snow, and paint anything.


But most of all, Dad, you taught me how to feel love from a family, and how to hug and say, “I love you”, without being embarrassed. You were a light in our lives that we won’t be able to replace. But even now we can still feel the warmth from it, from above.


I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Love to you and your family. I'm sure he was an amazing mana because he raised an amazing daughter.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you on this day. Your dad is definitely watching over you. <3

    ReplyDelete