Saturday, March 20, 2010

Wrasslin

I'm originally from the midwest, and although we have most sports there, there are really only 2 that count- football and wrestling (or wrasslin, as we say). Guys (and sometimes girls) start wrestling as early as they are able to when they are kids, and of course, football is a sport that starts when the shoulder pads are bigger than the kids that wear them.

Throughout my life, however, there was another Midwestern phenomenon that I wasn't so happy about- girls weren't really seen as being "sports-minded". You have to remember that I grew up in the................., and it wasn't like it is today- girls today have a lot more options for athletic outlets. But when I was growing up, knowing my way around a football game, or how many points a wrestler gets for a reversal, was just not seen as a cool thing.

I'm so glad that has changed for the most part for CC- Lord knows that she isn't going to grow up with me and her Dad without knowing all about sports. Nowadays, I don't care if people think it's weird that I know about sports, that I have teams I like and teams I don't and valid reasons for those beliefs. A good friend and I even work the table at open wrestling tournaments throughout the year- she's the bout sheet guru and I'm the clock and scoreboard wizard. Together we make a great team! And have a great time doing it.

Every year, I'm typically the one that wants to have a Superbowl party... to actually WATCH the game. My favorite way to spend Sundays and Monday nights in the fall is in front of a TV, watching a game, regardless of whether the teams playing include mine. Spending an entire Saturday tailgating, then watching a game live, then tailgating some more is, to me, the way a Saturday should be spent! Throw in a couple Friday night High School games, and I'm in heaven!

I hope that sports are something that I can instill a love for in my daughter, too. So many wonderful things can be learned through athletics, and if you have a true love of sport, it's a bit easier to see through all the bull that has taken over in this money-hungry age. GO TEAM!

1 comment:

  1. Hm. Funny you saw it that way when you were younger - I felt the same way because I DIDN'T enjoy sports (well, I enjoyed watching basketball, but I didn't really know the ins and outs of the game). I always thought it was seen as cool here for both guys and girls to be sports-minded, even when we were young'uns.

    :-) Keisha

    ReplyDelete